The Last Update Time : ..
Sandong Zhou, Ph.D.
Professor of Geological Resources and Geological Engineering
School of Earth Resources
China University of Geosciences
628B Main Building, Nanwang Mountain Campus, No. 388 Lumo Road, Wuhan
9/15 ‐6/19 Ph.D., Geological Resources and Geological Engineering, China University of Geosciences.
9/13 ‐6/15 M.S., Geological Resources and Geological Engineering, China University of Geosciences.
9/09 ‐6/13 B.S., Resources Exploration Engineering, Yangtze University.
2. RESEARCH INTERESTS
· Unconventional reservoirs (CBM and shale) geology.
· CO2 sequestration in unconventional reservoirs, primarily in thick coal seams.
· ScCO2 interaction induced permeability alteration.
· X-ray Computed Tomography and Digital Rock Physics.
3. HONORS AND AWARDS
Top Youth Talents (Type A), China University of Geosciences, 2020.
Outstanding Post-doctoral Researcher, China University of Geosciences, 2020.
Student awards: 1st place at 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China- National scholarship for doctoral students; Top 10 graduate students at 2017- CUGB; 2 nd place at 2016 CUGB-student cadres. 2015‐2019 Talent Award Scholarship, CUGB. 2017-2018 Talent Award Scholarship, China Scholarship Council.
4. ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
12/20 – present Appointed Professor, Geological Resources and Geological Engineering, School of Earth Resources, China University of Geosciences. Work with Prof. Zhejun Pan and Dr. C. Özgen Karacan.
1/20 – 11/20 Lecturer, Geological Resources and Geological Engineering, School of Earth Resources, China University of Geosciences. Worked with Prof. Zhejun Pan and Prof. Detian Yan.
7/19 – 11/20 Post-Doctoral Fellow, School of Earth Resources, China University of Geosciences. Worked with Prof. Zhejun Pan and Prof. Detian Yan.
9/17 – 9/18 Visiting Scholar /Research Assistant, John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University. Worked with Prof. Derek Elsworth and Prof. Zuleima T. Karpyn.
5. ARTICLES PUBLISHED IN REFEREED JOURNALS
Some 21 journal articals, 7 Technical Meetings
Published and accepted
1. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Zuleima T. Karpyn, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao. Dual compressibility characteristics of lignite, subbituminous, and high-volatile bituminous coals: A new insight into permeability. Transport in Porous Media, 2021, 136, 295–317.
2. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Yingjin Wang, Detian Yan. Occurrence characteristics of mineral and the effect on micro- and nano-scale pore-fractures of low rank coal: A case study from Zhundong Coalfield, NW China. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2021, 21, 460–471.
3. Detian Yan, Shuangjian Li, Haijiao Fua, David M. Jasper, Sandong Zhou, Xiangrong Yang, Bao Zhang, Hassan Nasir Mangi. Mineralogy and geochemistry of Lower Silurian black shales from the Yangtze platform, South China. International Journal of Coal Geology, 2021, 237, 103706.
4. Rui Yang, Aoqi Jia, Sheng He, Qinhong Hu, Mengdi Sun, Tian Dong, Yuguang Hou, Sandong Zhou. Experimental investigation of water vapor adsorption isotherm on gas-producing Longmaxi shale: Mathematical modeling and implication for water distribution in shale reservoirs. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2021, 406, 125982.
5. Sandong Zhou, Detian Yan, Jiguang Tang, Zhejun Pan. Abrupt change of pore system in lacustrine shales at oil- and gas-maturity during catagenesis. International Journal of Coal Geology, 2020, 228, 103557.
6. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Zuleima T. Karpyn, Yanbin Yao. Comparative analysis of nanopore structure and its effect on methane adsorption capacity of Southern Junggar coalfield coals by gas adsorption and FIB-SEM tomography. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 2018, 272, 117–128.
7. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Zuleima T. Karpyn, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao. Effect of coalification jumps on petrophysical properties of various metamorphic coals from different coalfields in China. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 2018, 60, 63–76.
8. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Zuleima T. Karpyn, Yanbin Yao. Petrographic Controls on Pore and Fissure Characteristics of Coals from the Southern Junggar Coalfield, Northwest China. Energies, 2018, 11, 1556.
9. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao, Yongyan Jiao, Shijun Ren. Characterization and fractal nature of adsorption pores in low rank coal. Oil &Gas Geology, 2018, 39, 373–83. (In Chinese with an English abstract)
10. Xiaoyao Wang, Lianbo Zeng, Sandong Zhou, Jinxiong Shi, He Tian. Assessment of micro-pore structure fractal model evaluation of low-rank coal reservoirs. Natural Gas Geoscience, 2018, 29(2): 277–288. (In Chinese with an English abstract)
11. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao. Effects of the coalification jump on the petrophysical properties of lignite, subbituminous and high-volatile bituminous coals. Fuel, 2017, 199, 219–228.
12. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao. 3D characterization and quantitative evaluation of pore-fracture networks of two Chinese coals using FIB-SEM tomography. International Journal of Coal Geology, 2017, 174, 41–54.
13. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao. Multi-scale fractal characterizations of lignite, subbituminous and high-volatile bituminous coals pores by mercury intrusion porosimetry. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 2017, 44, 338–350.
14. Dameng Liu, Sandong Zhou, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao. Study on effect of geostress on coal permeability and its controlling mechanism. Coal Science and Technology, 2017, 45(6): 1–8. (In Chinese with an English abstract)
15. Sijian Zheng, Xiaoyao Wang, Sandong Zhou. Fractal Dimension of Low Rank coal Reservoir Pore in Southern margin of Junggar Basin. Coal Technology, 2017,36(07), 133-135. (In Chinese with an English abstract)
16. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao. Gas sorption and flow capabilities of lignite, subbituminous and high volatile bituminous coals in the Southern Junggar Basin, NW China. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 2016, 34, 6–21.
17. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Yanbin Yao. Fractal characterization of pore–fracture in low-rank coals using a low-field NMR relaxation method. Fuel, 2016, 181, 218–226.
18. Sandong Zhou, Jiguang Tang, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai. Shale oil potential of the Upper Cretaceous in the Changling area, Southern Songliao Basin, NE China: perspectives of geochemistry and petrology. International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Technology, 2016, 13, 215–245.
19. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Jiguang Tang. Pore structure characteristics of shale gas reservoir of Yingcheng Formation in Lishu Depression, Songliao Basin. ACTA GEOLOGICA SINICA (English Edition), 2015, 89, 142.
20. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Shaohua Sun, Yidong Cai. Factors Affecting Coalbed Methane Enrichment and CBM Favorable Area of Liuhuanggou Area in the Southern Junggar Basin. Geoscience, 2015, 29(1), 179–189. (In Chinese with an English abstract)
21. Chenchen Li, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Sandong Zhou. Analysis on microfracture characteristics and control action of mineral genesis of coal reservoir in south margin of Junggar Basin. Xinjiang Coal Science and Technology, 2015,43(12), 144–151. (In Chinese with an English abstract)
Presentations at National and International Symposia
22. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Zhejun Pan, Detian Yan, 2020. “Heterogeneity of pore-fissures for low rank coalbed methane reservoir and its geological controlling factors”. National Youth Geological Forum on Coal and Associated Mineral Resources. Taiyuan University of Technology, Taiyuan, China, September 12–14.
23. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Zhejun Pan, Zuleima T. Karpyn, Detian Yan, 2019. “3D microstructure anisotropy of cleats in deep coals”. 71st Annual Meeting of the International Committee for Coal and Organic Petrology. The Hague, Netherlands, September 16–20.
24. Yidong Cai, Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Zhejun Pan, 2018. “Mechanical properties constrained by coal structures: Impact on hydraulic fracturing”. 1st National Forum of Youth Scholars in Energies and Resources. China University of Geosciences, Wuhan, China, November 16–18.
25. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, 2018. “A novel approach to obtain fractal dimension in coals by LFNMR”. 9th International Symposium of State Key Laboratory of Oil & Gas Reservoir Geology and Exploitation. Chengdu University of Technology, China. October 29–31.
26. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Zuleima T. Karpyn, Yidong Cai, 2018. “3D microstructure anisotropism of pore-cleats in southern Junggar Basin coal samples: Insight by X-ray computed tomography fractal analysis”. 10th InterPore Annual Meeting and Jubilee (InterPore2018). New Orleans, USA, May 14–17.
27. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Jiguang Tang, Yuehua Hou, 2015. “Reservoir Characterization of the Upper Cretaceous Shale for the Changling Sag, Southern Songliao Basin, NE China”. CHINA SHALE GAS 2015. Wuhan, China, September 6–8.
28. Sandong Zhou, Dameng Liu, Yidong Cai, Jiguang Tang, 2015. “Pore structure characterization of gas shale of K1sh and K1y Formations in Lishu Depression, Songliao Basin”.3rd Unconventional Petroleum Geology Evaluation. China University of Petroleum, Qingdao, China, June 27–30.
6. TEACHING INTERESTS
GRGE 105: COAL GEOLOGY ‐Introduction to coal geology in China occur in almost every region of the country and coal formation occurred in many geologic periods, including Middle Devonian, Carboniferous and Early Permian (C–P1), Late Permian (P2), Late Triassic (T3), Early and Middle Jurassic (J1-2), Late Jurassic and Early Cretaceous (J3–K1), and Eogene and Neogene (E–N)
GRGE 109: UNCONVENTIOANL RESERVOIRS AND LITERATURE SEARCH ‐Principles and formulation of problems in CBM, tight sandstone, and shale gas/oil geology.
GRGE 275: ENGINEERING DESIGN OF COAL AND COALBED METHANE – Well inflow performance and subsurface production principles of CBM reservoirs.
GRGE 309: COLLOQUIUM ‐graduate seminars series.
7. PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Contributions to Research Project
1) Principal Investigator, Study on supercritical CO2-CH4- water interaction of nano pores in shale reservoirs
Consignor: China National Petroleum Corporation 2020.01-2022.01
² Supercritical CO2-CH4- water interaction
² Paper Writing
2) Researcher, The coal petrography control on multi scale characterization and its interaction mechanism with methane and carbon dioxide of Shanxi medium rank coal reservoir
Consignor: National Natural Science Foundation of China 2020.01-2023. 12
² Multi scale characterization in medium rank coals
² Paper Writing
3) Principal Investigator, Dual compressibility and its affecting mechanism on petrophysical properties in coal reservoirs
Consignor: China Postdoctoral Science Foundation 2019.12-2021.12
² The compressibility of pores and cleats in low-medium rank coals
² Methodology, Data curation
4) Task Leader, Types of organic rich shales and their sedimentary- diagenetic controlling factors
Consignor: National Natural Science Foundation of China 2017.01-2022. 12
² Deposition of organic-rich shales
² Paper Writing
5) Principal Investigator, The physical properties heterogeneity for low-rank coalbed methane reservoir and its geological control mechanism
Consignor: Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities 2016.11-2017.12
² Quantitative characterization of pore-fracture by FIB-SEM and its geological control mechanism
² Report & Paper Writing
6) Task Leader, Quantitative characterization and description of the coalbed methane reservoir in different tectonic elements in Shanxi Province
Consignor: Lanyan Coalbed Methane Company, Shanxi Province 2015.01-2016.12
² Sampling and fieldwork
² Quantitative characterization of pore-fracture system by NMR and MIP and its control mechanism
² Paper Writing
7) Task Leader, Heterogeneity of pore-fissures for low rank coalbed methane reservoir and its geological control on the methane adsorption and permeability
Consignor: National Natural Science Foundation, China 2013.07-2015.12
² Gas sorption and flow capabilities of lignite, subbituminous and high-volatile bituminous coals
² Report & Paper Writing
Service to the profession
Member of professional and learned societies
Geological Society of China. 2018-present.
Technical reviewer of refereed journals (2016‐present), approx. 40 reviewed manuscripts.
o Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering
o Energy Fuel
o Natural Resources Research
o Fuel Processing Technology
o International Journal of Energy Research
o Frontiers of Earth Science
8. SUPERVISION OF RESEARCH
I have supervised 4 undergraduate and graduate students.
Xiaoyao, Wang. “Assessment of micro-pore structure fractal model evaluation of low-rank coal reservoirs”, Geological Engineering with honors. Granted: Spring 2019.
Bao, Zhang. “Mechanisms of fluid transport in micro- and nano-scale pore networks in coal”. Geological Engineering with honors. Granted: Spring 2020.
² Mingxuan, Zhang. “Research on the origin traceability technology of crude oil based on biometric fingerprint compounds and stoichiometry”, PhD, GRGE. Expected graduation: May, 2025.
² Junfeng, Zhang, “Quantitative diagenetic facies and petrophysical properties via well logs in tight sandstone from Zhusan sag, Pearl River Mouth Basin”, PhD, GRGE. Expected graduation: May, 2024.
9. COMPUTER AND ANALYTICAL INSTRUMENTS SKILLS
Computer platforms: Workstations and PC’s
Operating Systems: UNIX and Windows
Large Data Size Image Analysis Programs (ImageJ, Coreldraw, Resform, Surfer)
Statistics Programs (Origin, Matlab 2014a)
Windows programs for word processing and data analysis.
Image processing and 3-D image reconstruction (AVIZO)
ANN development software
GC-MS-MS (EI and CI)
10. LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
English: fluent (speaking, reading, writing)
Mandarin: native language
The Pennsylvania State Universit  ID391375 导师：Zuleima Karpyn、Derek Elsworth
China University of Gesciences, Beijing  mineral resource prospecting and exploration  Postgraduate (Doctoral)  Doctoral Degree Supervisor：Dameng Liu
China University of Gesciences, Beijing  mineral resource prospecting and exploration  Postgraduate (Master's Degree)  Master's Degree Supervisor：Dameng Liu
Yangtze University  resource prospecting engineering  Editor  Bachelor's Degree in Engineering 导师：汤济广
China University of Geosciences School of Earth Resources Appointed Professor Principal Investigator：Hua Wang；Detian Yan
China University of Geosciences School of Earth Resources lecturer Co-Supervisor：Detian Yan；Zhejun Pan
JPSE、FUEL、Natural Resources Research、Fuel Processing Technology、International Journal of Energy Research等期刊审稿专家
Dr.C. Özgen Karacan, USGS
Prof. Hua Wang, China University of Gesciences,WUHAN
Prof. DeTian Yan, China University of Gesciences,WUHAN
Prof. Dameng Liu, China University of Gesciences,BEIJING
Pfor. Yanbin Yao, China University of Gesciences,BEIJING