The Last Update Time : ..
My research focuses on siliciclastic sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy, especially in tidal-dominated environments. I am also interested in depositional systems and basin analysis based on high-resolution seismic and well log data.
Siliciclastic sedimentology, tidal-dominated environments, depositional systems and basin analysis, sequence stratigraphy, shelf edge delta, tidal deposit, shelf margin clinoform
2016-2021: Clinoform growth and sediment flux into late Cenozoic Qiongdongnan shelf margin, South China Sea.
2015-2016: Growth of the Paleo-Orinoco Shelf-Margin Prism-Process Regimes, Delta Evolution and Sediment Budget beyond Shelf Edge.
2014-2016: Depositional systems and sequence stratigraphy of M1 Sandstone in Tarapoa, Ecuador.
2013-2014: Graduate research assistant assigned to a project studying the shelf deltaic to deepwater-slope architecture of the Miocene-Pliocene Orinoco shelf-margin, South Trinidad.
2011-2012: Graduate research assistant assigned to a project studying sedimentary features and time-space evolution of the tide-influenced Orinoco Delta of the Upper Morne L'Enfer Formation in Erin Bay and Cedros Bay in South Trinidad.
2009-2010: Graduate research assistant assigned to a project studying structural paleogeomorphology, sequence stratigraphy, and sediment fill evolution of the Xiagou Formation in the Jiuquan Basin, NW China. Worked on the interaction among the tectonic activity, paleogeomorphology, and sedimentary systems.
1. , Steel, R., Wang, H., Zhao, R. and Olariu, C., 2019. Clinoform growth and sediment flux into late Cenozoic Qiongdongnan shelf margin, South China Sea. Basin Research.(DOI: 10.1111/bre.12400)
2. Chen, S., Steel, R., Olariu, C. and Li, S., 2018. Growth of the paleo-Orinoco shelf-margin prism: Process regimes, delta evolution, and sediment budget beyond the shelf edge. GSA Bulletin, 130(1-2), pp.35-63.
3. Chen, S., Steel, R. & Olariu, C., 2016. Upper-Slope to Shelf-Edge Delta Architecture, Miocene Cruse Formation, Orinoco Shelf-Margin, Trinidad. Journal of Sedimentary Research. pp. 87–106.
4. Chen, S., Steel, R. & Olariu, C., 2015. Palaeo-Orinoco (Pliocene) Channels on the Tide-Dominated Morne L’Enfer Delta Lobes and Estuaries, SW Trinidad. In P. J. Ashworth, ed. Fluvial-Tidal Sedimentology. Elsevier, pp. 227–281.
5. Chen, S., Steel, R. J., Dixon, J., and Osman, A., 2014, Facies and architecture of a tide-dominated segment of the Late Pliocene Orinoco Delta (Morne L'Enfer Formation) SW Trinidad: Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 57, p. 208-232. (DOI: 10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2014.05.014)
6. Chen, S., Wang, H., Wei, J., Lv, Z., Gan, H., and Jin, S., 2014, Sedimentation of the Lower Cretaceous Xiagou Formation and its response to regional tectonics in the Qingxi Sag, Jiuquan Basin, NW China: Cretaceous Research, v. 47, p. 72-86. (DOI: 10.1016/j.cretres.2013.11.006)
7. Chen, S., Wang, H., Wu, Y., Huang, C., Wang, J., Xiang, X., and Ren, P., 2014, Stratigraphic architecture and vertical evolution of various type structural slope breaks in Paleogene Qikou sag, Bohai bay basin, northeastern China: Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, v. 122, p. 567-584. (DOI: 10.1016/j.petrol.2014.07.003)
8. Chen, S., Wang, H., Zhou, L. H., Huang, C. Y., Ren, P. G., Wang, J. H., Liao, Y. T., Xiang, X. M., and Xia, C. Y., 2011, Recognition and depiction of special geologic bodies of Member 3 of Dongying Formation in Littoral Slope Zone, Qikou Sag: Journal of Central South University of Technology (SCI) (EI Compendex), v. 18, no. 3, p. 898-908.
9. Chen, S., Wang, H., Zhou, L. H., Huang, C. Y., Wang, J. H., Ren, P. G., and Xiang, X. M., 2012, Sequence thickness and its response to episodic tectonic evolution in Paleogene Qikou Sag, Bohaiwan Basin: Acta Geologica Sinica-English Edition(SCI), v. 86, no. 5, p. 1077-1092.
10. Steel, R. J., Olariu, C., Zhang, J. and Chen, S., 2020. What is the topset of a shelf-margin prism? Basin Research, 32(2), p. 263-278. (DOI: 10.1111/bre.12394)
11. Jin, S., Wang, H., Cao, H., Chen, S., Lin, Z., Yu, J., and Pan, S., 2014, Sedimentation of the Paleogene Liushagang Formation and the response to regional tectonics in the Fushan Sag, Beibuwan Basin, South China Sea: Austrian Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 107, no. 2, p. 112-130.
12. Jin, S., Wang, H., Chen, S., Gan, H., Lü, Z., and Cao, H., 2013, Control of anticline crest zone on depositional system and its geological significance for petroleum in Changshaling, Yinger sag, eastern Jiuquan Basin: Journal of Earth Science, v. 24, p. 947-961.
13.Osman, A., Steel, R. J., Ramsook, R., Olariu, C. and Chen, S., 2020. The arrival of the paleo-Orinoco Delta at Trinidad: The Cruse Formation delta lobes and delivery to deepwater Atlantic. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 90(8), p. 938-968.
14. Huang, C.Y., Wang, H., Wu, Y.P., Wang, J.H., Chen, S., Ren, P.G., Liao, Y.T., Zhao, S.E., and Xia, C.Y., 2012, Genetic types and sequence stratigraphy models of Palaeogene slope break belts in Qikou Sag, Huanghua Depression, Bohai Bay Basin, Eastern China: Sedimentary Geology (SCI), v. 261, p. 65-75.
Apr., 2021: EGU General Assembly 2021, Gather Online. Virtual PICO: Clinoform growth and sediment flux of Late Cenozoic Yinggehai and Qiongdongnan shelf margins, Northern South China Sea in GM3.17 Processes and timescales of sediment production, transport, and deposition from source to sink.
May, 2019: AAPG 2019 Annual Convention & Exhibition, San Antonio, Texas. Poster: Mixed Tidal-Wave Processes in a Growth-Fault Controlled Outer Shelf Conduit Near the Pliocene Orinoco Shelf-Edge in Theme 1: Paralic and Shallow Marine Systems I: Process Variability and Impact on Reservoir Distribution and Architecture.
Oct., 2018: 9th International Conference on Asian Marine Geology, Shanghai, China. Poster: Growth-fault Controlled Outer Shelf Conduits near the Pliocene Orinoco Shelf-edge in When and how clastic detritusare transported from shelf-edge staging areasinto deep-waterareas: From a source-to-sink perspective.
Aug., 2018: 20th International Sedimentological Congress (ISC2018), Quebec City, Canada. Poster: Double Intense Effect of Tectonic Activity and Sedimentation of Late Paleocene Dongying Formation, Nanpu Sag, Northeast China in 2.4 Lacustrine sedimentology: recent progress and new perspectives.
Aug., 2018: 20th International Sedimentological Congress (ISC2018), Quebec City, Canada. Short Oral: Growth of the Late Miocene to Pliocene Paleo-Orinoco Shelf-Margin Prism in 5.1-B 4-D Sedimentology: sources, sinks, and geologic time.
Apr., 2018: EGU General Assembly 2018, Vienna, Austria. SSP3-Sedimentology-Processes and Products, SSP3.5 Clinoform drivers and stratigraphic products in siliciclastic and carbonate successions, Clinoform Drivers of the Late Miocene to Pliocene Paleo-Orinoco Delta.
Oct., 2017: IMS-International Meeting of Sedimentology 2017, 33rd IAS & 16th ASF Joint Meeting, Toulouse, France. Poster: Sediment process and flux during shelf-edge clinoform growth since the Late Cenozoic, Qiongdongnan Basin margin, Northern South China Sea in SB2 Extensional to transtensional basins: rifts and passive margins (PAMELA-ACTION MARGE).
Apr., 2017: AAPG 2017 Annual Convention & Exhibition, Houston, Texas. Poster: Unusually Well Preserved Tidal Signals and Tidal Constituents on Pliocene Paleo-Orinoco Delta, Trinidad in Theme 1: Siliciclastics: Continental to Shallow Marine II: Fluvial, Deltaic and Aeolian (SEPM).
Jun., 2016: AAPG 2016 Annual Convention & Exhibition, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Poster: Paleo-Orinoco Shelf-Margin Growth- Process Regimes and Delta Evolution in Theme 1: Linkages between Continental, Shelf and Deepwater Sedimentary Systems (SEPM).
Oct., 2015: Bureau Seminar Talk, Bureau of Economic Geology, Texas. Invited talk: Onshelf to deepwater architecture of the late Miocene to Pliocene Orinoco Delta, Trinidad.
Jun., 2015: AAPG 2015 Annual Convention & Exhibition, Denver, Colorado. Poster: Upper-Slope to Shelf-Edge Delta Architecture of the Miocene Cruse Formation Orinoco Shelf- Margin, Trinidad.
Apr., 2014: AAPG 2014 Annual Convention & Exhibition, Houston, TX. Poster: Shelf Deltaic to Deepwater-Slope Architecture of the Miocene-Pliocene Orinoco Shelf-Margin, South Trinidad.
Apr., 2013: 2013 SPE Western Regional/Pacific Section AAPG Joint Technical Conference, Monterey, CA. Oral: Fluvial and Shallow Marine Depositional Systems: Insights from Outcrops and Subsurface Prediction in Theme 9: Fluvial and Shallow Marine Depositional Systems: Insights from Outcrops and Subsurface Prediction.
Feb., 2013: 2nd Annual Jackson School Student Research Symposium, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas.
Oct., 2012: Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies and Gulf Coast Section of SEPM 62nd Annual Convention, Austin, Texas.
Apr., 2012: AAPG 2012 Annual Convention & Exhibition, Long Beach, California. Poster: Sequence Patterns and Episodic Tectonic Evolution of Various Types Structural Slope-Break and Their Petroleum Geological Significance in Paleogene Qikou Sag, Bohaiwan Basin, East China in Theme 6: Petroleum System.
Marine and Petroleum Geology
Journal of African Earth Sciences
Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering
Journal of Earth Sciences
Frontiers of Earth Science
Journal of Central South University of Technology
Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology
中国地质大学（武汉）  地球物理学专业  大学本科毕业  Bachelor's Degree
The University of Texas at Austin  mineral resource prospecting and exploration  Doctoral Degree  Master's Degree in Engineering 2012-2014: Exchanging Ph.D. in Sedimentology, Jackson School of Geosciences, The University of Texas at Austin.
China University of Geosciences （Wuhan）  mineral resource prospecting and exploration  Doctoral Degree  Doctoral Degree in Engineering 2007-2014: Ph.D. in Petroleum Geology, Faculty of Earth Resources, in successive postgraduate and doctoral program, China University of Geosciences.
中国地质大学（武汉） 资源学院石油系 特任副教 在职
The University of Texas at Austin Jackson School of Geosciences Postdoc fellow Fulltime 2014-2016: Postdoc in Sedimentology, Jackson School of Geosciences, The University of Texas at Austin.
The president of the federation of young teachers (School of Resources)